Saturday 15 June 2013

The home of... Biba's Barbara Hulanicki circa 1975

The home of... Biba's Barbara Hulanicki circa 1975
Barbara Hulanicki in the sitting-room, the window open to reveal a jungle of climbing plants outside. In the background, a collection of Art Deco glass below the enormous mirror, at least six feet in diameter. Everywhere lamps, small, fringed or mushroom-topped on long, slender stems: everywhere figures, ferns, flowers. In foreground, a set of black/silver/turquoise vases and modelled head on decorated brass tray and glass-sided table: replica of a twenties’ cigarette girl, now bearing a tray of jewellery.
A section of the studio. Beneath the gallery one discovers a sink, kettle. cooker below a thirties’ Grecian frieze. Art Deco chairs in peach moquette. Screen, with beaded shawl. purple plastic  grapes behind a delicate nasturtium-leaf lamp hung with beaded fringe
The bed, above, hung with shawls, scattered with sequinned brocaded cushions. Barbara Hulanicki reflected in the bedside mirror on the writing desk and in the centre of the mirrored bed-head. On the right, a peach mirror flex set of shelves, with photographs, figures, eight Art Deco plastic handbags
Looking down from the gallery into the studio, arranged into its separate “rooms”
The bath, a riot of peach and plastic flowers. Ornate brass taps, Art Deco screen. Brilliant blue glass, candlesticks and pearly plastic grapes
My god I love this place! Isn't it everything you would expect from Barbara Hulanicki? Over the top, eclectic and bohemian. A nightmare to dust though!!

"Barbara Hulanicki at home in one cavernous studio which she found three years ago and filled with Art Deco from floor to ceiling. Walls, ceiling, stairs, all painted a rich matt brown, merge into the shadowy interior; angles and lines are softened and blurred. Colours, not walls, mark out living areas, a different shade for each section of space. Light is filtered through the brown-tinted glass of the high, patterned perpendicular window and a long fanlight in the roof. A brown spiral staircase, leafy with plastic twisting plants, leads to a long gallery which forms the dressing-rooms. Everywhere, an endlessly intricate arrangement of colour, pattern, space; a deep, dark brown jungle of the ornamental, the exotic, the glittering."
Vogue, October 1975

Images and article found on the fab 'get some vintage-a-peel'

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I love the richness of this. It is dark in color, but filled with light! x

Melissa
http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

Vudupink said...

OMG,so cool!I I was lucky enough go to Biba when I was 12 befor it closed and it was like one of the most awesome places of all time.I swear.I bought a dress that I probably wore till I was sixteen.It was a flowing cotton jersey so it grew with me.Only the hem did rise!I just adore Biba style forever and ever so this post was too specialLove love your blog forever as well! XO

Unknown said...

A dream come true!! Just so amazing. Xx

Becky - Pretty Dandy said...

Love these pictures, thanks for sharing. BIBA is a huge inspiration and this madness is amazing!

becky
x

Laura Tackitt - Online PhD in Psychology said...

Wow, that place is really great and lipsmacking, don’t you think? My, I just couldn’t get enough of the photos. I think I’m craving for more vivid photos. Are those stuffs affordable? I really hope so coz’ I live in a very tight budget. No room for useless expenses. Thanks for the inspiration!


My homepage | Online PhD UK Programs